Gluten free Vegan Cereal Bars
How is your Plastic Free July challenge going?
We hope your journey is going smoothly so far.
In the previous post, I mentioned how my family is trying to live a sustainable lifestyle to reduce plastic waste and one of the tips was making DIY products.
So over the next few posts, I actually would like to show you the steps how I make plastic free products!
This time is
Homemade snacks, Gluten Free Vegan Cereal Bars!
This is truly one of the best ideas not to purchase plastic packaging, especially if you are a snack person or you have children who love snacking.
These bars are also perfect for breakfast.
Healthy, easy to make and most importantly delicious, so these are my regular DIY items that all my family love!!
Gluten Free Vegan Cereal Bars : 8-10 bars
• 1 cup oat flour (100g)
• 1 cup puffed brown rice (15g)
• 1/2 cup dried fruits (apricot, cranberries, sultana), roughly chopped
• 1/2 cup seeds and/or raw nuts, roughly chopped
• 1/4 cup cacao nibs or chopped chocolate
• 5 tbsp unrefined extra virgin coconut oil, liquefied
(Do not use fractionated coconut oil)
• 5 tbsp brown rice syrup or maple syrup
• A pinch of kosher salt
Add warm coconut oil and rice syrup. Mix well with spatula.
※Do not use fractionated coconut oil because the bars just won’t hold together.
To melt the coconut oil, just warm the solid coconut oil under the sunlight or in the double boiler.
※Press hard for the bars to stay together once cooled and cut.
3. If you like no bake bars, allow the mixture to sit in the fridge until set before removing from the tray to cut into bars.
But if you like the crunchy bars like me, place in the oven at 160℃ and bake about 20 minutes or until lightly browned.
Remove from the oven and allow to cool for about 5 minutes.
Without removing the bars from the baking tray, slice into bars.
Place the tray in the fridge for 30 minutes, or in the freezer for 5 minutes, until completely chilled.
4. Separate the bars along the scored lines.
NOTES & TIPS
For the softest bars, keep at room temperature.
For slightly harder bars, store in the fridge.
Hope you like and enjoy this recipe!